Say Good-Bye to Chemicals!
If you think the only way to look youthful is to inject yourself with chemicals and douse yourself in synthetic preservatives, think again. There are plenty of natural solutions for every skin issue to prevent and protect, from fine lines and wrinkles to dryness, dullness, dark spots and skin thinning. By adopting an anti-aging skin care regimen in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle and proper nutrition, achieving a radiant complexion is absolutely attainable.
Healthy skin is equated with a healthy lifestyle for good reason. Do the following and you’ll look younger for longer:
- Exercise regularly. Working up a sweat opens up the minuscule arteries in your skin. This allows more blood, which contains restorative nutrients and increases collagen production and prevents wrinkles to reach the skin’s surface.
- Protect yourself from the sun’s harmful UV rays. Do this by applying natural sunscreen with an SPF30 daily, even in the winter or on cloudy days, limiting your time in the sun and wearing the proper protection such as a hat, and sunglasses when necessary.
- Avoid bad habits such as smoking and excessive drinking. According to experts, smokers look older than nonsmokers. With respect to alcohol, the drug decreases vitamin A levels, which play an important role in the production of collagen and maintains elasticity.
- Whenever possible, keep stress to a minimum. When the body is under stress, essential nutrients are redirected to your heart, brain and lungs as opposed to your skin. Stress also releases free radicals, which damage skin cells.
- Make sure to get a sufficient amount of sleep, ideally, about eight hours per night. This is important because lack of sleep is interpreted as a form of stress by the body, which responds by releasing the stress hormone cortisol, which breaks down collagen, the protein that makes skin soft and supple.
Fueling your body with the right food changes the look and texture of your skin for the better, so a healthy and balanced diet is key. This regime involves:
- Eating plenty of brightly colored fruit and veggies as well as foods rich in omega-3 essential fats, like cold water fish, nuts and seeds.
- Drinking six to eight glasses of fresh, clean water daily to ensure proper hydration and flush out unwanted toxins.
- Taking a daily multi-vitamin for an extra boost of protection against free radicals.
- Reducing your intake of sugar, trans-fatty acids and carbohydrates, which are often in processed foods and treats made with white flour.
- Reducing your intake of dairy products like milk and cheese, which contain ingredients that increase plaque buildup and deplete immune cells.
Skin Care Recommendations for Skin 30, 40, 50 and up
Internal aging begins. It’s time to re-evaluate your skin care regime, as products that may have worked well in your 20’s are unlikely to suit the changing needs of your skin.
Recommended skin care regime for Skin 30 and up:
You probably haven’t given much thought to organic anti-aging products yet – but remember that it’s easier to prevent signs of aging than it is to reverse them. Get each day off to a great start with a Cleanser and Toner, followed by a light Moisturizer to balance and hydrate your skin, such as the Hydro Plus System in the True Natural Line. Start using an Eye Cream is another must as the delicate eye area is often the first to show dryness and fine lines, such as the True Natural Eye Cream Hydro Plus.
Recommended skin care regime for Skin 40 and up:
The skin’s collagen and elastin network, and its hyaluronic acid layer, all responsible for keeping skin plumped and glowing, gradually break down. As a result, redness and wrinkles start to appear, especially around the eyes. Introduce products that will boost your skin’s own ability to lift, hydrate and firm. At night, use a Lifting and Firming Serum for moisture and wrinkle prevention, such as the Advanced Lift & Firm Serum from True Natural. Kick up the hydration with a Richer Anti-oxidant Moisturizer for day and night, for example the Rose Organic Skin Care System from True Natural. Fight lines around the eyes with a special treatment, day and night, such as the Eye Serum by True Natural.
Recommended skin care regime for Skin 50 and up:
Time for extra special care and nourishment. The skin’s ability to retain oil and water slow dramatically, resulting in thin, uneven skin tone and a lack of color and vitality. You want to use similar products as you did in your 40’s but add special treatments to regenerate skin and help its ability to stay moisturized and nourished: Your daily regime should include all products to rejuvenate skin: Cleanser, Toner, Day cream, Night cream, Eye cream and Lifting Serum. The new True Natural ROSE and HYDRO+ Systems from True Natural are enriched with ingredients to help keep your skin looking young.
Skin Care Ingredients that Fight the Signs of Aging
Mature, dry skin loses collagen and elastin, and consequently its structure and firmness. That being the case, caring for it means applying natural skin care products with ingredients that effectively balance and repair.
Using products rich in antioxidants has been shown to improve skin tone and texture. One of the best and most popular on the market today is Argan oil, which contains high levels of “skin beautifying” ingredients such as intensely hydrating vitamin E, phenols and carotenes.
Acai Oil – The fruit of the Acai palm has a high content of anthocyanin, a highly effective anti-oxidant. Acai has up to 33 times more anthocyanin then red grapes.
Babacu Oil – Extracted from the seeds of the babacu palm, this oil has 100% omega-9-fatty acid content which gives strength and stability to cell membranes.
Hyaluronic Acid – An optimized combination of both low and high molecular weight hyaluronic acid forms a protective film on the skin, making it smooth and soft as it bonds with the stratum corneum where moisture collects. Occuring naturally in your skin, it promotes long-lasting smooth skin texture and helps the skin to store moisture. One molecule can store 1,000 molecules of water and plumps up your skin – all naturally.
Rose Essential Oil – Another great option, offering both physical and psychological benefits. It supports cell renewal, protects against wrinkles and leaves skin looking luminous. Highly calming, the scent of this amazing essential oil has been shown to reduce both depression and anxiety.
Macadamia nut oil – Deeply nourishing and moisturizing. Easily absorbed by the skin and void of greasy residue, it contains one of the highest sources of essential fatty acids, which maturing skin is often lacking.
Muscat Sage Water – An effective anti-inflammatory and cicatrisant, helping scars and spots on the skin to disappear.
Ingredients to Avoid
Harsh synthetic chemicals such as phthalates, parabens and “fragrance” (a synonym for approximately 4,000 different ingredients) are common in mainstream beauty and personal care products. Linked to birth defects, cancer, respiratory problems and a host of other health issues, opt for superior quality lines that make a point of omitting them.