Here's what you need to know about the new FDA Sunscreen Guidelines.
New guidelines come into affect this summer regulating the labelling that appears on sunscreens. The 5 main points are:
- Broad Spectrum Designation - the FDA has instituted a new test to measure UVA and UVB effectiveness. If the product passes this test, SPF 15 and above products may claim additional uses, described in the next bullet point
- Use Claims - products with SPF values of 15 and higher, that pass the Broad Spectrum test, can claim to reduce the risk of skin cancer and early skinaging if used as directed with other sun protection measures. Non-Broad Spectrum sunscreens and Broad Spectrum sunscreens with an SPF value between 2 and 14 can only claim to prevent sunburn
- "Waterproof", "Sweatproof" or "Sunblock" claims no longer allowed - These claims cannot be used as they overstate a product's effectiveness. In addition, sunscreens cannot claim sun protection for more than 2 hours without reapplication or to provide protection immediately after application without submitting data to support these claims and obtaining FDA approval.
- Water-resistant claims - The label must indicate whether the sunscreen is effective either 40 or 80 minutes while swimming or sweating, based on standard testing. If the product is non water resistant, consumers need to be directed on the package to use a water resistant sunscreen if swimming or sweating.
- Mandatory Drug Facts - All sunscreens must have the standard "drug facts" panel on the back and/or side of the container.
The general compliance date the above guidelines is June 18, 2012, with some exceptions. For more information, check out this informational video from the FDA below. For more information on this topic, visit the FDA's webpage located here.
Just in time for Summer
True Nature Group announces its new lineup of True Natural brand Broad Spectrum SPF 50 sunscreens. These sunscreens feature 100% mineral based protection using nano-free zinc oxide that goes onto the skin clear, without the dreaded white residue. These biodegradable sunscreens offer the HIGHEST broad spectrum protection available in an all natural formula! Available in scented (all natural vanilla-coconut) and unscented versions, at attractive retails between $18 and $25!
For more information, email us or call 877.515.8783.